Home

November 20, 2018, 05:34:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now that 2006 is on it's way out...  (Read 10642 times)
Cuchulainn
Hammered Metalhead
Global Moderator

Dimensional Bleedthrough

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 10:34:07 am »

Yeah, I'm VERY behind on reviews as well...  You gonna start posting reviews for those above soon or are you waiting til the release date Wayf???  Sentiments echoed for Miseration, Fear My Thoughts, Novembers Doom, and Chimaira...  I also love the new Naglfar album as well, much better than Pariah...  Can't wait to hear the Nightrage...

We're the tyrants that guard the land
Proud upon our gilded thrones
The kings at hold... on their thrones
Immortal and invincible... the might lives on

---------------------------------------

www.myspace.com/wjr12983
The Evil Dead

Son of Northern Darkness

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 11:23:25 am »

OMG! (Motherfucking) PAIN OF SALVATION - Scarsick  Grin

No, not you too...  Cry

Eyeless Sentry
Dreamlore Degenerate
Global Moderator

Let me justify my own reward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 07:55:38 pm »

OMG! (Motherfucking) PAIN OF SALVATION - Scarsick Grin

No, not you too... Cry

Pain of Salvation are the SHIT! Why be hatin' Pain of Sal?  Angry

"Two riffs don't make an Opeth"

http://www.crushtor.net
Curumbor Elendil
Global Moderator

tr00 m3tal is l33t!11!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 06:42:26 pm »

OMG! (Motherfucking) PAIN OF SALVATION - Scarsick Grin

No, not you too... Cry

Pain of Salvation are the SHIT! Why be hatin' Pain of Sal?  Angry

I haven't really enjoyed any of their albums since the first one ("Entropia"). The second and third albums were too soft, self-absorbed, boring, and political (in the case of "Concrete Lake") for my tastes. Have they gotten their act together since?
Eyeless Sentry
Dreamlore Degenerate
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 07:37:00 pm »

Well, no. BE was a bloated "masterpiece" that made more sense as a stage show than an album (OMG NATURE OF CONCIOUSNESS), but their musical ideas and creativity are unparalleled. I've heard some of samples of Scarsick and (at least for me) was blown away. They've brought the "metal" back to their unique brand of prog metal, in my opinion.

pheno
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 07:27:57 am »

Yeah, I'm VERY behind on reviews as well...  You gonna start posting reviews for those above soon or are you waiting til the release date Wayf???  Sentiments echoed for Miseration, Fear My Thoughts, Novembers Doom, and Chimaira...  I also love the new Naglfar album as well, much better than Pariah...  Can't wait to hear the Nightrage...
What I have noticed guys in your reviews about any album that you don't care so much about the CD COVER and you don't discuss it at all ?ah truth to be told I remember I've read something about Wayfaerer making a joke of some band that had decided to put a funny devil face as a cd cover  ?so maybe it's not a very interesting thing to many many fans and maybe it's a big deal for lots of bands and it's nothing more of 2 or 3% of the album but I think it can SOMETIMES give you a hint about the cd and some other times it can be appealing ?. And I've seen lots of guys who buy not-very-famous bands cds depending on the cd cover? maybe you must not underestimate the graphics guy effort?.call me nuts but I really think that logos also should be discussed ..lol especially those who will bend the letters and do everything to make it symmetric !!! 
Here are some good cd covers in my opinion
Metallica : And Justice For All
Dark Tranquillity : Character
Soilwork : Natural Born Chaos
Iced Earth : Burnt Offerings ( it's an illustration from Dante's Inferno by Gustav Dore ? pure art !!!!)
In Flames : Come Clarity ? Soundtrack To Your Escape
Katatonia : Discouraged Ones
Opeth : Blackwater Park
Dimmu Borgir : Spiritual Black Dimensions   
Moonspell : Memorial
Anorexia Nervosa : Redemption Process

some shitty cd covers
who should I start with???
Rhapsody
Iron Maiden
Children Of Bodom
Blind Guardian
Dismember
Death
Cuchulainn
Hammered Metalhead
Global Moderator

Dimensional Bleedthrough

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2007, 12:25:40 pm »

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=66964

Check it out Pheno, you might actually be correct...

www.myspace.com/wjr12983
pheno
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 05:37:10 am »

ok ...and it's no big deal if was wrong ...and i agree with most of the guys over there i mean i'm really waiting this album  but if they are going to put more silly introduction riffs like Take This Life's i'll be throwing this cd out immediately. there are lots of bands with lots of potentials and skills waiting for a IF to fall ...
and by the way i'm still waiting for your answer about cd covers thing i posted here a couple of days ago
Cuchulainn
Hammered Metalhead
Global Moderator

Dimensional Bleedthrough

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 10:35:16 am »

To me, a CD cover is cool, but that's not what I'm buying...  I'm buying the album...  The music, the band, all the elements that have interested me in the first place...  Theatrics and art are cool, but you will never hear me say that I like a band solely because of those things...  The music is what matters above all else...  So, for me, the look of that could be "cool" or "complementing" but never the reason to, or not to, purchase an album or go see a show...

www.myspace.com/wjr12983
Wayfaerer
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2007, 04:22:32 pm »

Here's my take on the cd covers thing:

Way back when I first got into metal, I viewed cover art as pretty important as I had little access to other info (I remember discovering bands based upon the "thanks" section in the booklet as well).  If it looked cool and sounded like a metal name (or on a label like roadrunner or metal blade), I'd probably snag it as there wasn't much around locally.  I believe that the artwork does hold some importance and adds to the overall necessity of buying albums as opposed to downloading them.  Good artwork completes the listening experience (as do the liner notes).  But you're right, the only mention I usually make to album art most of the time is if it sucks or is unintentionally hilarious (I believe you were refering to a Dark Funeral review, I also mentioned art in a skylark review if I remember correctly...). 

Here's why: in the digital age, in my opinion, "blind purchases" are an unnecessary risk.  I never make a purchase without hearing at least one song.  Therefore, I put much less or no emphasis on artwork when it comes time for a review as I think the music should be the major reason someone goes out and snags a cd, not just because it looks cool.  Usually covers are released before songs are made available when a band puts out a new disc, so I mostly use them as a gauge to get me psyched for a new release.

Here's a few of my favorite album covers:
Suffocation - Pierced From Within
In Flames - Colony
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos, The Chainheart Machine
Hypocrisy - Virus
Iced Earth - The Dark Saga
Dew-Scented - Impact
Katatonia - Tonight's Decision
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream
....probably more if I tried harder to think about it
pheno
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 09:27:47 am »

ofcourse music should be the major reason someone buys cds  and not just because they look good... and i won't risk buying any album if i don't listen to some samples ... well i sometimes buy it  immediately if it's one of my favorite bands ... Grin but if the main reason for art cover is just to separate cds they wouldn't have hired real artists to do the job !!
i'm not new metal fan ... it's been almost a 10 years journey for me ..and i still appreciate good covers.. it's just i consider it a good final touch to a good music work ... that's it !!!
and yes it's DARK FUNERAL's ATTERA TOTUS SANCTUS Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 10:34:46 am by pheno » Logged
Wayfaerer
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 02:17:33 pm »

Speaking of album art, check out my new avatar...one of the best I've seen in some time!
Eyeless Sentry
Dreamlore Degenerate
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 10:20:57 pm »

I think individual artists' booklets/artwork are much more richer and rewarding. For instance, all the album covers by Dark Tranquillity are done by guitarist Niklas Sundin that reflects his own personality and style and can even enhance the musical "part" of an overall artistic product. Others i've come to appreciate are Travis Smith (Nevermore, Mercenary, Katatonia et. al.) and Mattias Noren (Evergrey, Ayreon, Into Eternity) and Andreas Marschall (Kreator, In Flames, Blind Guardian.) Some covers are either just generic made-to-order images or loaded with cheesy cliches (*cough* Dragonforce *cough*).

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: