Home

June 25, 2017, 09:29:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2006 Awards  (Read 14399 times)
Cuchulainn
Hammered Metalhead
Global Moderator

Dimensional Bleedthrough

View Profile WWW
« on: December 24, 2006, 09:06:48 pm »

Check out mine at http://www.harm.us/articles/showarticle.cfm?artID=151 and discuss...  Hope you guys enjoy...

We're the tyrants that guard the land
Proud upon our gilded thrones
The kings at hold... on their thrones
Immortal and invincible... the might lives on

---------------------------------------

www.myspace.com/wjr12983
Wayfaerer
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 02:36:55 pm »

Instead of adding an entirely new article, I thought I'd just post mine here (since your titles were far more entertaining than what I'd come up with) and add a few others

Best Album Hardly Anyone Has Heard
Eventide - Diaries From the Gallows
Enter My Silence - Coordinate Disaster

Worst Albums of the Year
It Dies Today - Sirens BY FAR
Gorelord - Norweigen Chainsaw Massacre
Atreyu - A Deathgrip on Yesterday

Most Overrated Album(s) of the Year
Trivium - The Crusade
Mastadon - Blood Mountain
Tyr - Ragnarok
Shadows Fall - Fallout From the War

The "Where the fuck did that come from" Award - given to a band I already knew that completely blew my mind with a 2006 release
Daylight Dies - Dismantling Devotion

The "It's about time you lived up to your potential" Award
Insomnium - Above the Weeping World

The "What the fuck happened to your potential" Award
Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies

Disappointment of the Year
Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies
Entwine - Fatal Design

The "Wow, you really started believing your own hype" Award
Trivium - The Crusade

The Consistency Award - given to artists that consistently make solid albums, eligible only if they've released an album this year:
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
In Flames - Come Clarity
Soulscar - Endgame

Comeback Award
Amorphis - Eclipse

The "Headbang" Award
Mercenary - "Soul Decision"
The Arcane Order - "Bloodlust"

The "Holy Shit I Hope They Aren't Going Commercial" Award
All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals

"Label of the Year" Award (best releases)
Century Media/Nuclear Blast

The "It got worse the more I listened to it" Award
Dragonforce - Inhuman Rampage
Lamb of God - Sacrament

The "It got better the more I listened to it" Award
The Haunted - The Dead Eye

The "Almost but not quite" Award
Ishahn - The Adversary

The "Time to hang it up" Award
Dead to Fall - The Phoenix Throne

Now the tops of each genre that I care about

Top five Melodic Death Albums
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
Eventide - Diaries From the Gallows
In Flames - Come Clarity
The Arcane Order - The Machinery of Oblivion
Arsis - United in Regret

Top five Extreme (death/black) Albums
Suffocation - s/t
Anaal Nathrakh - Eschaton
Cannibal Corpse - Kill
Zyklon - Disintegrate
Yyrkoon - Unhealthy Opera

Top four Gothic/Doom Albums
Daylight Dies - Dismantling Devotion
Amorphis - Eclipse
To/Die/For - Wounds Wide Open

Top three Power/Traditional Albums
Mercenary - The Hours that Remain (does this go here?)
Cellador - Enter Deception
Blind Guardian - A Twist in the Myth

Best Metalcore Album
All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals

Best Deathcore Album
All Shall Perish - The Price of Existence

Best Album I Can Hardly Classify
Into Eternity - The Scattering of Ashes

Best Unsigned Release
Zonaria - Rendered in Vain

Best Vocal Performance (tie)
Mikkel Sandager - Mercenary The Hours That Remain
Christian Alvestam - Scar Symmetry Pitch Black Progress

Best Concert of the Year
Moonspell/Katatonia/Daylight Dies/The Final Sleep - Revolution Hall, Troy NY

My top 20 to come soon!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 03:01:12 pm by Wayfaerer » Logged
Eyeless Sentry
Dreamlore Degenerate
Global Moderator

Let me justify my own reward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 07:20:29 pm »

Haha Cuch, i reckon your list rocks! Especially the overrated section, I think you achieved your objective with that one.  Grin Looking at Wayf's list, i'm so glad I refused that CD-R my mate was going to burn me of Trivium's material...

"Two riffs don't make an Opeth"

http://www.crushtor.net
Blasphemer
Metalosophist
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 09:06:09 pm »

My phoned-in contribution:

Album of the Year:
Unexpect - In a Flesh Aquarium

Best Album Hardly Anyone Has Heard:

The "Wow, this kinda makes me want to kill Trivium" Award:
Any Trivium album

Wayfaerer
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 10:51:08 am »

Edit:

How did I forget this massive disappointment!  Dissection - Reinkaos
Eyeless Sentry
Dreamlore Degenerate
Global Moderator

Let me justify my own reward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 06:28:48 pm »

I think i might contribute a few awards too!

The Bjorler Brothers' Best of the Brutal Award
Amon Amarth - With Oden on our Side

The Kai Hansen Power Metal Memorial Award
Blind Guardian - A Twist In the Myth

The G?ran Johansson Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Melodic Death Metal
Mercenary - The Hours that Remain

The Mirai Kawashima Happy Fun Time Strangeness Award Style
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain

The Duke Nukem "Let's Rock (instead of Wank)" Award
Evergrey - Monday Morning Apocalypse

The Angus Young/Lemmy Kilmister Joint Award for most predictable release
Dragonforce - Inhuman Rampage

The Dan Swano Award for Most Anticipated yet Dissapointing Release
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime II

The Mike Patton "Dude, where's my genre" Award

The Bruce Dickinson Iron Lung Award
Mikael Sandager, Mercenary and Niilo Sev?nen, Insomnium

The Goethe Award for Achievement in Poetic Lyricism
Jonas Renske, Katatonia

The Chuck Schuldiner Memorial Award for Best Guitar-based Impressery
Justin Bender, Into Eternity

The Herman Li Award for Most Impressive Release on Debut
Raise the Shield - Play With Fire

The Chuck Norris Award for most Awesomest Shit In The World for 2006

And now, the LEAD-PLATED OSCARS!
Best Performance: Dark Tranquillity
Best Actors in a Comedy: Dragonforce
Best Actor in a Dramatic Presentation: Mille Petrozza, Kreator
Best Showmanship: Mr. Mikael Stanne, Dark Tranquillity
Most Retarded Stage Dance: Peter Dolving, The Haunted
Best Concert where half the audience were only there to see Paul Bostaph from Exodus because he was formerly in Slayer (yes, it's true): Exodus/The Haunted
Best Covers: Gamma Ray covering Helloween
Best Exploitation of "Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi" Chant: Angela Gossow, Arch Enemy and Zakk Wylde, Black Label Society
Stupidest Costume: Dirk Schlacter, Gamma Ray

Top 10 soon.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 07:10:53 pm by Eyeless Sentry » Logged

"Two riffs don't make an Opeth"

http://www.crushtor.net
The Evil Dead

Son of Northern Darkness

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 02:00:13 am »

Into Eternity - The Scattering of Ashes

Total bullshit that you have that on your overrated list. Sorry you don't recognize the shear immensity of the talent behind Into Eternity.

Seriously, why is that on your list? The band has such range and the change to vocalist Stu Bloch gave the band a newfound energy and direction. I mean you don't have to love the album, I can understand that... But calling it overrated is bullshit man.

Cuchulainn
Hammered Metalhead
Global Moderator

Dimensional Bleedthrough

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 07:53:28 am »

Dude, Into Eternity is horrible in my opinion...  I'm sorry but I really don't care...  I enjoy some of the instrumental aspects of the band however the vocals are atrocious...  Plus, power/prog is not my cup of tea whatsoever...  I enjoy music with balls and no whining...  Come to think of it, Into Eternity is very much like Nevermore for me...  I like 50% of the music and that's about it...  Therefore, "The Scattering of Ashes" (and everything else they've released for that matter) is overrated to me...

Side note:  Also, they are Canadian goons...  I saw them in concert about 2 1/2 years ago and they were completely retarded on stage...  They even had fans set up so that the lead vocalist's hair would constantly be "blowing" in the "wind"...  I'm surprised he didn't try to shove a sock down his pants too...  He looked like Kid Rock on meth with atrocious 80's hair band vocals...  Granted that was the old vocalist but still...  Ugh, you can have them...

Don't worry, my list is coming soon...  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 08:04:16 am by Cuchulainn » Logged

www.myspace.com/wjr12983
The Evil Dead

Son of Northern Darkness

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 02:31:23 pm »

I will keep them. And you can keep shit like Lamb of God.

And comparing Into Eternity to Nevermore is bullshit man. Almost as much bullshit as the rest of the nonsense you're spewing.

Plus, power/prog is not my cup of tea whatsoever...  I enjoy music with balls and no whining... 

Exactly why I think it's bullshit that it's on your overrated list. You don't like that particular genre, so automatically a good album that has elements from those said genres is a horrible CD? That makes a lot of sense. You can't knock the talent behind the band and saying it's overrated is nothing more than an ignorant statement. If you don't have a particular taste of that said genre than your opinion is going to be void because OBVIOUSLY you're not going to enjoy it unless they all magically turn into vikings and start growling about norse mythology and wave their hair around on stage.

If you don't like the album because of the elements of the genre that's fine, but no part of the album lacks talent either in the instruments or the vocals.

I generally agree with your reviews, but calling Into Eternity overrated is just sickening to hear. Honestly I think the only reason you find it overrated is because it contains elements from genres you don't like, which really makes your opinion on Into Eternity void in my book.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 02:44:15 pm by The Evil Dead » Logged

Cuchulainn
Hammered Metalhead
Global Moderator

Dimensional Bleedthrough

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 11:52:51 pm »

OK, metal in general has so many elements, subgenres, and styles that you can take two people that listen to metal and they can be polar opposites...  Each enjoying different vocal styles, riffing, atmosphere, etc...  However, every so often there is an album that seemingly everyone in "metal" is on their knees about that just isn't that good...  I've tried with Into Eternity...  Trust me, I've listened to "Scattering of Ashes" more than a couple of times and each time I can't figure out why it's so popular...  I absolutely despise the vocals but the guitarwork is well done...  I feel like the atmosphere is redundant and transitions at key moments are somewhat out of whack... 

You are correct in the point that my opinion of this band should not matter to fans of this style of metal, however, when a band is this hyped across the lines of metal, an overrated tag is deserved from someone who believes that the album is just that...  Bottom line is, I speak my opinion regardless...  Agree, disagree, I really don't care...  But it is my opinion...  You are entitled to have yours, and you are (as I said) probably in the majority...  I'm not arguing that, I'm arguing the way I feel about this album... 

By the way, I've got a brand new copy of the best Lamb of God album "Ashes of the Wake" for you...  Hahaha...

www.myspace.com/wjr12983
pheno
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 07:25:23 am »

I don't know what took me so long to read this article but here are things Cuchulainn has mentioned and I wanted to ask about ?

The "Holy Shit I Hope They Aren't Going Commercial" Award:
(As usual) In Flames - Come Clarity
So I just wander what exactly you mean by commercial ?? if you mean those who dig for gold and fame well maybe you're right ?.and we've already talked  about Come Clarity in another thread . But what's wrong with some money?? as far as I know some chuches did pay Beethoven to compose music for mass ceremonies? we do love their music but I'm quite sure that In Flames and any other metal band or any other band at all are playing music just to play music or to make us feel happy and better ... they are all doing it for money or else we wouldn't have seen the MERCHANDISE section on their websites? and for me this exactly what keeps gray-haired bands in the business ?

for the "Oh shit, I hope they don't destroy my favorite band of all-time" Award:
Ferret Music (In Flames)
This is something I don't have any idea about? how can Ferret Music  destroy In Flames ?? And how many bands has this label destroyed so far?? although Andres Fridden seems very pleased to wear their t-shirts when he is in front of cameras ?lol
Cuchulainn
Hammered Metalhead
Global Moderator

Dimensional Bleedthrough

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 09:28:51 pm »

OK, the "Holy Shit I Hope They Don't Go Commercial" Award is more or less a recurring award when it comes to In Flames, due to the fact that with every release they are seemingingly teetering back and forth along the "mainstream" line...  Especially with the song "Come Clarity" it is noticeable that these guys could start to get regular airplay on many major hard rock stations across the U.S.  Is this necessarily a bad thing???  No...  However, with the added commercialization of the music, the band might feel a sense of pressure from the powers that be (a.k.a. Ferret Music), to go into a more hard rock direction...  That would be the definition of selling out in my opinion, i.e. actively changing your music to get popular and sell more albums either from the band members themselves or from record labels and etc...  That does not mean that any change in music is necessarily a bad thing as In Flames have re-invented themselves numerous times, however not to the point where they would sell-out...  Those who cry "sell-out" obviously don't know the history of this band nor understand the direction of these albums...

Now onto the "Oh shit, I hope they don't destroy my favorite band of all-time" Award, I am leary of any major label change because of this reason...  Especially if the change involves Roadrunner Records who, in my personal opinion, is absolutely notorious for destroying bands (i.e. Fear Factory, Trivium (of recent), et al.)...  My main reason for concern in this case is the fact that Ferret Music (although going in the right direction with signings such as In Flames and Chimaira) is not a metal label...  They are deeply rooted in punk and hardcore...  Now with the shift to metal, could this mean that a band such as an In Flames with as much worldwide appeal as they have, could be pressured into taking a more mainstream approach???  That is the question...  Ferret is also not considered a "major label" whatsoever...  Could they have looked at In Flames as their jackpot???  Or could it give the label metal validity???  That remains to be seen, but I feel that both of these "awards" are fairly well-warranted...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 09:31:29 pm by Cuchulainn » Logged

www.myspace.com/wjr12983
pheno
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 07:40:53 am »

so the two awards means almost the same .... please ferret music don't push In Flames into hard rock music !!!
Cuchulainn
Hammered Metalhead
Global Moderator

Dimensional Bleedthrough

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 08:44:00 am »

It comes down to whether or not it's a conscious shift on the part of the band members or outside control whether it be management or whatever label a certain band is signed to...  That's the main reason for the two different awards...  But nonethless, you are right, pretty much the same end result...

www.myspace.com/wjr12983
pheno
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 05:22:15 am »

By the way, I've got a brand new copy of the best Lamb of God album "Ashes of the Wake" for you...  Hahaha...

ok thanks for the explanation now back to that Lamb Of God vs. Into Eternity ...i really was surprized with you attacking IE so hard ...not that i like them or i don't ....coz i haven't heard more than one song by IE ..anyway i just want to ask you about Lamb Of God's  Ashes of the Wake is it better than Sacrament (the only thing i have by LOG) ?? and to be honest LOG was never expected to be the thing i'd like to put my money on ...but for some reason i kept it playing in my car for more than 3 months!!! Cheesy  i guess i liked the vocals very much ... but what i really liked the best is the drummer !!! basedrum is used very good !!!!!!!so why don't you just send me that copy of Ashes of the Wake  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: