Home

November 20, 2018, 05:49:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GWAR... They get no respect man.  (Read 3850 times)
The Evil Dead

Son of Northern Darkness

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2005, 11:01:38 pm »

How come there's so many metalheads that seem to hate GWAR? I've read some negative things about these guys in few metalheads about several bands not liking GWAR ( I think one of them was Phil Anselmo and some other bands I can't really recall. ) because they claim that they're not metal.

That would be a statement I have to disagree with... While some of GWAR's efforts have been a tad goofy, they do have several metal albums from their earlier days like Scumdogs of The Universe, America Must Be Destroyed, and more recently Violence Has Arrived and War Party, with the latter two being more thrash metal like the former. I think they've totally turned themselves around from the few goofy albums they had, and really are an excellent metal band. They most definitely throw one of the most wicked live shows as well, anyone who has seen them can confirm that. I realize they may have a large stage presense and incorporate that into their music, but first and foremost GWAR is metal man.

I dunno, is the opinion that they suck just held by a few metalheads?

Eyeless Sentry
Dreamlore Degenerate
Global Moderator

Let me justify my own reward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 02:24:58 am »

I haven't heard much GWAR, but I agree with you, alot of people throw them into the "false metal" basket a hell of a lot. I can't knock them or like them because I haven't tried them. And now to cheat:

Last.fm Radio is awesome!

"Two riffs don't make an Opeth"

http://www.crushtor.net
Cuchulainn
Hammered Metalhead
Global Moderator

Dimensional Bleedthrough

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 07:07:10 am »

I personally just can't get into a band that puts more effort into theatrics than music and that seems to be Gwar in a nutshell...  Plus, I don't think their music is that great anyway...  Sorry, just one of those bands that aren't for me...

We're the tyrants that guard the land
Proud upon our gilded thrones
The kings at hold... on their thrones
Immortal and invincible... the might lives on

---------------------------------------

www.myspace.com/wjr12983
The Evil Dead

Son of Northern Darkness

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 10:12:04 am »

I personally just can't get into a band that puts more effort into theatrics than music and that seems to be Gwar in a nutshell...

That seems to be the general opinion held by most metalheads. I'd agree with you that their music was lacking a few albums and they did indeed concentrate on the theatrics, Oderus Urungus ( Dave Brockie ) himself even said they did that... However he's also stated that since the release of Violence Has Arrived they've got themselves on track, putting more effort into the music because he realizes that GWAR should be first and formost about the music. His mistake that was that they were losing respect due to the fact that they were just putting on crazy shows and not at the same time working on creating good music in the process.

If you haven't heard their album War Party, I suggest a listen... It's really good thrash metal, very oldschool sounding.

But yea, of course they're not a band for everyone. There's very few bands that can make that claim.

Tgod
Global Moderator

EMO SUX BALLS!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 12:59:22 pm »

I've been going to shows for 26 years now and GWAR is the best time you can possibly have at a show. Period. I see them every time they come to Jersey and it's a freakin' blast every time!!!!!!!!!! I'm a freakin' GWAR head.
Bleeding
Global Moderator

Paradise Belongs To You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 09:05:31 am »

I haven't heard much Gwar to have an opinion about them. Only a couple of their songs and i don't even remember if i liked them or not. I think i must pay more attention to them to have an opinion about their music

"If You Ever Saw Me Smile You Should Know I Felt Sick Inside...."
Orchetect

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 11:23:53 pm »

Tgod: Dude, that pic of you and GWAR is hilarious! 

(Assuming that shot was taken after the show, Oderus received a fresh brain transplant before his next stage appearance.  In accordance with his habit.  Or so the legend goes...)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 11:27:17 pm by Orchetect » Logged
Tgod
Global Moderator

EMO SUX BALLS!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 10:37:16 pm »

It was taken before the show at The Sounds of The Underground. Me and my son were completely drenched in blood by the end of the show.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: