Home

August 23, 2017, 01:51:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2008, so far so good!  (Read 20338 times)
Eyeless Sentry
Dreamlore Degenerate
Global Moderator

Let me justify my own reward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 06:36:44 am »

I like my thrash, no doubt about that. Skolnick coming back is great and all, but they just sound a bit...tired? Thats the feeling I got. Its a decent record, don't get me wrong.

I'm so pissed off with my beloved Dark Tranquillity! I already own "Fiction" on Vinyl and Limited CD. But in Aussie, they've RE-RELEASED it with about 6 bonus tracks and a live DVD. Do I dare buy the same album 3 times? My heart says yet but my wallet calls me crazy (but not no!) Tongue

"Two riffs don't make an Opeth"

http://www.crushtor.net
Cuchulainn
Hammered Metalhead
Global Moderator

Dimensional Bleedthrough

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 06:50:25 am »

Like I said in my review, Testament is definitely my favorite thrash band but that really isn't saying much to be honest...  I think they breathed life into a pretty stagnant genre in general with "Formation"... 

Eyeless, I completely understand where you are coming from...  I've heard a few of the bonus tracks and they sound pretty good too...  But the live DVD is probably worth the price of purchase...

We're the tyrants that guard the land
Proud upon our gilded thrones
The kings at hold... on their thrones
Immortal and invincible... the might lives on

---------------------------------------

www.myspace.com/wjr12983
Cuchulainn
Hammered Metalhead
Global Moderator

Dimensional Bleedthrough

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 07:43:38 am »

Curious if anyone has heard any of the following albums and whether I should check them out:

Aborted - Strychnine.213
Cult Of Luna - Eternal Kingdom
Venom - Hell
Leviathan - Massive Conspiracy Against All Life
Dismember - Dismember (yes, I still haven't heard it)

www.myspace.com/wjr12983
Blasphemer
Metalosophist
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 08:30:48 pm »

Don't think anyone's mentioned these yet:

Canvas Solaris - The Atomized Dream

Hollenthon - Opus Magnum

Mar De Grises - Draining the Waterheart

Dark Tranquillity - A Closer End

Cynic - Long awaited second album! Shocked

The new Canvas Solaris is highly enjoyable if you like instrumental metal.  Based on the 3 new Cynic songs I've heard, I think their new release is actually going to live up to my expectations.

The "new" Dark Tranquillity is actually a collection of odds and ends, including the japanese bonus tracks from several albums.  I already checked out the song "A Closer End" and I liked it better than anything on Fiction.

A Closer End track info:

01. A Closer End [Japanese bonus track](Fiction - 2007)
02. Derivation TNB [Japanese version bonus tracks](Character - 2005)
03. The Endless Feed [Japanese version bonus tracks](Character - 2005)
04. Undo Control [Korean Dope music digipack released in 2004 includes ?Undo Control (Live)? as a bonus track. It was recorded in Poland in 2002](Projector - 1999)
05. Razorfever [Reissued in 2004 by Osmose in Europe and in 2005 by Century Media in the US. Bonus tracks on the reissue(Enter Suicidal Angels EP)](The Mind?s I - 1997)
06. Shadowlit Facade [Reissued in 2004 by Osmose in Europe and in 2005 by Century Media in the US. Bonus tracks on the reissue(Enter Suicidal Angels EP)](The Mind?s I - 1997)
07. Archetype [Reissued in 2004 by Osmose in Europe and in 2005 by Century Media in the US. Bonus tracks on the reissue(Enter Suicidal Angels EP)](The Mind?s I - 1997)
08. Bringer Of Torture [limited Edition in 10? box contains bonus cover songs(The Osmose ?deluxe edition? re-issue bonus cover songs - 2005)](The Galley - 1995)
09. Sacred Reich [Bonus track for Korea(Limited Edition in 10? box contains bonus cover songs)(The Osmose ?deluxe edition? re-issue bonus cover songs - 2005)](The Galley - 1995)
10. 22 Acacia Avenue [The Osmose ?deluxe edition? re-issue bonus cover songs - 2005](The Galley - 1995)
11. Lady In Black [The Osmose ?deluxe edition? re-issue bonus cover songs - 2005](The Galley - 1995)
12. My Friend Of Misery [Bonus track for Japan(The Osmose ?deluxe edition? re-issue bonus cover songs - 2005)](The Galley - 1995)
13. I, Deception [The limited edition digipack (shown below) bonus track](Damage Done - 2002)
14. Winter Triangle [Australian bonus track](Fiction - 2007)

Eyeless Sentry
Dreamlore Degenerate
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 07:15:42 am »

I have almost all of those tracks you mentioned Blasphemer. Most of them are on "Exposures" or the re-issues of "The Gallery" and "The Mind's I." I'm a crazy-nuts DT fan, so that's to be expected...Tongue

I think when I do have the cash...I'll probably buy it as their "second DVD" rather than as a CD. I will have the same album 3 times...but that's not the point! Tongue

Cynic releasing a new album should be a huge coup for prog fans! I got a hold of Blooddrunk...it is terrible. However, the new Communic was a pretty good spin...they don't sound so "Nevermore-ish" any more. Tongue

mhessick

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 09:00:44 pm »

While i'm just a lurker (visiting regularly since 2001) . .here's my current thoughts on the new Opeth . .

As with Opeth as usual, my initial impressions are very negative.  While I miss Peter, Watershed has grown by an order of magnitude on me.

I can say probably my least favorite Opeth album was Blackwater Park, save 'Drapery Falls' - this current offering is very good.

I recuse my earlier comments.

I heard all the noise on Behemoth and it took me a while, but damn, it's fucking brilliant.

And lesson to the more wise :  Don't drink a flask of Jim Beam whilst in a DT concert.  All ages venue staff tend to take poorly to drinking in their club.  Damn I'm quite old enough to know better.  Maybe it's just Utah and their crazy liquor laws . . . but if you drink before / during a concert like I do, drink LIGHT.

Lesson #2 : if you're going to drink  . . .drink something other than bourbon,  . . . like a good single malt scotch.  Hangovers are much smoother.  Man the day following that concert was hell.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:25:29 pm by mhessick » Logged
Cuchulainn
Hammered Metalhead
Global Moderator

Dimensional Bleedthrough

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 09:48:05 pm »

I'm honestly really happy with the way 2008 has ended up even with a little under 3 months left to go and many more albums left...  I really wasn't sure if 2008 would end up better than 2007, but with the releases of the summer and fall, I think this year definitely trumps last year even with a few mediocre albums earlier in the year (COB, In Flames, etc.)...  Should be an interesting end of the year list this year...

www.myspace.com/wjr12983
Blasphemer
Metalosophist
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 09:33:01 pm »

This has been a solid metal year, no denying that. It's also the first year I've really been keeping up on the new releases of established bands, instead of just discovering new band after new band. 

I didn't know Lord Belial had a new one, so I'll have to check that out.  I wasn't too impressed with "Revelations", but their back catalog is some of the best black metal I've heard.

Eyeless Sentry
Dreamlore Degenerate
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 06:33:29 pm »

This has been a solid metal year, no denying that. It's also the first year I've really been keeping up on the new releases of established bands, instead of just discovering new band after new band. 

Very true, I've been doing the same. I got the new Into Eternity...it didn't like it as much as "Scattering" - they should really hang on to their band members. The new Arsis is godly. I love it. I can't believe I wasn't into them before. The DVD edition is hilarious. The new Cynic has been leaked...and it sounds magnificent. Definitely worth the wait. "straight" prog fans will dig it more than "death" fans - it's extremely similar to Malone/Reinert's post-Cynic work on Portal and Gordian Knot.

Eyeless Sentry
Dreamlore Degenerate
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 06:34:27 pm »

Also: Scar Symmetry are dumbarses - Why did you fire Christian Alverstam!? Are you mental?

Eyeless Sentry
Dreamlore Degenerate
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 10:20:27 pm »

The new Eluveitie...in a word? WOW. The best bits of Gothenburg melodic death and folk rolled into one band.

Virtual
User

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2008, 03:32:28 pm »

WOGUYS!!!  I admire your capability of keeping up with so many bands at once...  I would like to mention that 2007 was not a bad year either and as for 2008...  let 2009 roll by and I might be able to add some other titles to the ones already menitoned!   Tongue  And I must confess that I will be checking out some of the albums you guys talked about, but when I have TIME  Cry .  Until then!   Kiss

virtual, the darker side of me...
pheno
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 04:09:56 pm »

The Haunted: Versus
Six Feet Under: Death Rituals
The Evil Dead

Son of Northern Darkness

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 09:44:25 am »

Also: Scar Symmetry are dumbarses - Why did you fire Christian Alverstam!? Are you mental?

I love Alvestam but he didn't want to play ball with the band. Why would they want to keep someone who is not interested in seeing the band grow? He's going to be impossible to replace but thankfully the band is top notch... I think something will work out.

Maybe they'll get back together. I couldn't believe Alvestam didn't want to ride the wave of popularity they're getting.

pheno
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 08:33:18 am »

Equilibrium - Sagas (2008)

this is a very ......... fun album, if you miss some old Finntroll work here's your answer
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: