Home

August 23, 2017, 01:53:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About the writer's strike...  (Read 2029 times)
Blasphemer
Metalosophist
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2008, 08:45:13 pm »

As you probably know by now, the Screenwriter's Guild is striking against the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) because the writers aren't getting any compensation for the use of their content online (not by pirates, mind you, but by the major companies themselves who offer streaming videos on their websites).

It got me thinking, maybe there should be a Songwriter's Guild that could strike against the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) until they stop suing their fans for sharing files on the net, among other things.  Because, after all, it's not the fans who are stealing from the artists and writers, it's the industry itself, and they've been getting away with it for a long time. What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 08:47:29 pm by Blasphemer » Logged

Eyeless Sentry
Dreamlore Degenerate
Global Moderator

Let me justify my own reward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 10:09:06 pm »

Thinking about it makes it a tough call, in my opinion. The screenwriters are an integral part of the TV/Filmmaking process which is much more vertically integrated than the music industry. A label is more like a huge loan shark that gives artists money to produce their record as long as they get a return on their investment. The only way that such a strike would work is if independent artists, studio owners and session musicians stopped working and sided with the artists as well. A friend who studies the music industry said that royalties and copyrights are usually tripartite agreement between songwriter, performer and publisher, unlike the film industry which has multiple intellectual property agreements.

"Two riffs don't make an Opeth"

http://www.crushtor.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: