Home

December 12, 2017, 11:04:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What band have you invested the most money in?  (Read 6822 times)
Blasphemer
Metalosophist
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: November 14, 2007, 09:41:21 pm »

What band have you thrown the most cash at in your lifetime, through CDs, DVDs, tickets, shirts, etc.?  And is that band your all-time favorite band?

For me, it's Frank Zappa.  I've purchased 11 CDs, 2 DVDs, and 1 book by this guy.  It's just a shame that he's already dead, because I would've been honored to have Zappa himself spending my money.

Runners up would be My Dying Bride at 10 CDs, and Therion at 8 CDs and 1 expensive DVD.

Therion could've actually overtaken Zappa if:

1. Their promoters hadn't cancelled their concert in Omaha.
2. I had attended that concert and bought at least 1 shirt.

pheno
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 02:09:57 pm »

Iced Earth?believe it or not?every single album except the self-titled one?"Alive in Athens" (dvd and audio cds)... now is it my all-time favorite band?? It was? right before the moment I got "Horror Show"

Second place goes to In Flames ?full album list and some various concerts
Metallica "tapes", posters and a?..should I say this???ok a keychain!! Yes ofcourse S&M (dvd and audio cds)?

I think I have a very good 3rd place list: Dark Traquillity, Opeth, Soilwork, Therion, Solitude Aeturnus (don't look at me like this ? I know it's doom and I'm anything but a doom fan? but it's a very good doom).
The Evil Dead

Son of Northern Darkness

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 03:21:19 am »

In Flames. I own all CD's, sans pre Anders as I honestly don't consider the band whole until Anders joined up. I have their Live DVD which is great, I've seen them 5 times live, I want to say I own 7 or 8 of their shirts but I'm too lazy to dig through my laundry to double check.

And yes... In Flames is most definitely my favorite band.

Wayfaerer
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 03:46:02 am »

I'd say Soilwork, with In Flames coming in a close second.  I own all albums by both, but I've probably got 6-7 Soilwork shirts (it's kinda sad, I know) as opposed to the 3-4 IF ones.
Curumbor Elendil
Global Moderator

tr00 m3tal is l33t!11!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 08:51:39 pm »

I guess I'll have to say Dream Theater. I've bought 8 of their CD's and 1 DVD and been to 3 or 4 of their concerts. My wife is a bigger fan than I am & joined their fan club once, for a year. She also bought a couple of live bootlegs of theirs. Second place would go to Iron Maiden, since I've bought 12 of their CD's and have gone to 1 of their concerts. Honorable mention: Dark Tranquillity & Skyclad (10 CD's each).
Cuchulainn
Hammered Metalhead
Global Moderator

Dimensional Bleedthrough

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 03:48:04 pm »

Either In Flames or Dark Tranquillity for me...

We're the tyrants that guard the land
Proud upon our gilded thrones
The kings at hold... on their thrones
Immortal and invincible... the might lives on

---------------------------------------

www.myspace.com/wjr12983
Eyeless Sentry
Dreamlore Degenerate
Global Moderator

Let me justify my own reward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 09:34:56 pm »

Definitely Dark Tranquillity for me. I own all their albums on CD as well as "Character" and "Fiction" on Vinyl...their Live DVD, 2CD Live/Rarities, T-Shirts and Concert Ticket (coz they only came once!) Nightwish is second, as I own all of their studio albums. It's worth it though!

"Two riffs don't make an Opeth"

http://www.crushtor.net
Blasphemer
Metalosophist
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 12:49:42 pm »

I'm impressed by the amount of shirts of a single band owned by Evil Dead and Wayfaerer.  7 shirts would probably pay for a whole weekend of partying for the band.  Well done, sirs.

Next Question:  How many total band shirts do you own?

I only own 2 - 1 Nile and 1 Alarum.  I'm sure I'd have more, if more good bands would actually tour in Nebraska.

pheno
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 05:05:43 am »

For me it was very easy to count ?. coz I have NONE!!
Cuchulainn
Hammered Metalhead
Global Moderator

Dimensional Bleedthrough

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 11:20:44 am »

2 In Flames shirts, 1 Vader shirt, 1 Chimaira shirt, 1 All Shall Perish hoodie, 1 Dimmu Borgir shirt, 1 Cradle of Filth shirt, 1 Katatonia shirt, 1 Dark Tranquillity shirt, 1 Insomnium shirt, and 1 Devildriver shirt...

I have a weird rule that I won't wear the shirt of the band until I see them live...  Next one, Enslaved in 3 weeks...

We're the tyrants that guard the land
Proud upon our gilded thrones
The kings at hold... on their thrones
Immortal and invincible... the might lives on

---------------------------------------

www.myspace.com/wjr12983
Eyeless Sentry
Dreamlore Degenerate
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 11:13:16 pm »

I'm impressed by the amount of shirts of a single band owned by Evil Dead and Wayfaerer.  7 shirts would probably pay for a whole weekend of partying for the band.  Well done, sirs.

Next Question:  How many total band shirts do you own?

I only own 2 - 1 Nile and 1 Alarum.  I'm sure I'd have more, if more good bands would actually tour in Nebraska.

ALARUM?! Wow, that's awesome, Blasphemer. I think I have almost too many to count...

2 Gigantour Shirts, 1 Demons and Wizards, 1 Dark Tranquillity, 1 Nightwish, 2 Blind Guardian, 1 Mastodon, 1 Nevermore, 1 Children of Bodom, 1 Megadeth, 1 Opeth, 1 Dragonforce...i'm probably missing a few off that list as well.

I also just remembered I'm missing one studio album of Blind Guardian and I have their DVD...so I think I may have spent as much on them as I have Dark Tranquillity.

Blasphemer
Metalosophist
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 09:39:31 pm »

Yeah, I know, Australian metal!  I saw Alarum open for Necrophagist, oddly enough.  They even played a cover of the first song on the first Atheist album, Piece of Time.  Good stuff.

Like Cuchulainn, I generally only buy band shirts when I go to the show, since I'm not in the habit of shopping online, and they don't sell any good band shirts at the music stores around here.

Did you see all your shirt bands live, Eyeless?

Eyeless Sentry
Dreamlore Degenerate
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 01:02:07 am »

Yeah, I know, Australian metal!  I saw Alarum open for Necrophagist, oddly enough.  They even played a cover of the first song on the first Atheist album, Piece of Time.  Good stuff.

Like Cuchulainn, I generally only buy band shirts when I go to the show, since I'm not in the habit of shopping online, and they don't sell any good band shirts at the music stores around here.

Did you see all your shirt bands live, Eyeless?

That's an odd combination...although Alarum opened for Dark Tranquillity if I recall! As for the liveness of my shirts...surprisingly, yes. Barring the Demons and Wizards, one of the BG and the Nevermore shirts. I'm like you and Cuch - I'll only buy a shirt to commemorate a tour now (since some of them were bought before my age of majority!) and if the price is right ($80AU for a flanellette Black Label Society shirt...forget it!) Most are about $40AU which is probably around $30-35US at the moment.  Grin

Tanhald
Lead & rhythm guitars
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 08:29:44 am »

For me it must be Iron Maiden. I have all their albums, couple of DVDs and several T-shirts. I've also attended at least 5 of their concerts. Lately I've been less enthusiastic about them, however, so I doubt I'll be spending too much money on them in the future..

Second place probably goes either to Judas Priest (all albums, two DVDs, one LP, one gig) or Jethro Tull (all albums, two DVDs, two LPs, two t-shirts, two shows). Not surprisingly older bands seem to top this list, as I've had more time to spend money on them than with newer bands!
heldunderseattle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 04:23:48 pm »

Scorpions for me. Discovered them in 1979, saw them 5 times since 1980, shirts from 3 of those shows. Bought every album on vinyl up to Crazy World, then bought every CD. 

A very close second would be Iron Maiden. 5 times live as well, one shirt, every CD and a bunch of vinyl too.

It makes sense as those 2 bands are my all-time favorites.

-Patrick

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: