Home

October 15, 2019, 12:44:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Folk metal or metal folk??  (Read 3966 times)
pheno
« on: October 27, 2007, 12:30:20 pm »

I think the title says it all ?.but please let me explain it more?.when you listen to Eluveitie or Korpiklaani for example you just can't tell if guitars are main instruments ? or just filling ones?I'm not saying the final result is not ok ..but it makes wonder wouldn't it be more "metal" if they pay more attention to the guitar work? Coz some bands take very famous folk melodies, add some riffs and call it a song!! So cheap!!
Blasphemer
Metalosophist
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:25:09 pm »

Well, Cruachan has taken a lot of traditional Irish songs and metalized them, but they aren't trying to fool anyone into thinking that they invented the melodies/lyrics for those songs.  And they do a great job of it...I would never have heard those songs if it wasn't for them.  You should check them out if you haven't - their guitar work is very Irish sounding and complex in and of itself.

Yeah, sometimes the guitars in folk metal just go chugga-chugga while the fiddle/accordion goes deedle-ee-dee.  I don't think it's lazy songwriting; it's a nice contrast, and the riffs can only be so complex before it becomes extremely difficult to interweave another folkish pattern on top of that.

Alex Smirnov

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 10:47:18 am »

I think if we talk about metal than guitars is main here. For example Russian folk bands Nevid or Arkona.
Potrokh
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 08:34:39 pm »

Привет Алекс, добро пожаловать!
Alex Smirnov

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 09:33:05 am »

Привет!!! Спасибо!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: