Home

June 25, 2017, 09:29:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Riff or Solo?
Definately a good riff
A great solo can change the whole song
I don't like riffs and solos. I like 50 Cent...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riff Vs Solo  (Read 3424 times)
Bleeding
Global Moderator

Paradise Belongs To You

View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2006, 03:44:32 am »

I know a great song is one with a great riff and with a great solo. But which one do you think is the most important?

Would you prefer a great riff and an average solo or a great solo and an average riff?

"If You Ever Saw Me Smile You Should Know I Felt Sick Inside...."
Tanhald
Lead & rhythm guitars
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 04:21:54 am »

Definitely a great riff. A great solo very rarely saves a bad song, but a good riff might lift an average song to new heights. Also, a bad solo almost never spoils the whole song, whereas a bad riff might do just that.

But do you count a melody line as a riff or as a solo? For example, I consider Iron Maiden's Afraid to shoot strangers a pretty boring piece except for the extraordinary melodies. Is that song saved by a riff or by a solo?

The same goes for Mokoma's "Haudan takaa". I can't really tell whether that intro melody should be called a solo or a riff.
Eyeless Sentry
Dreamlore Degenerate
Global Moderator

Let me justify my own reward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 11:22:28 pm »

This was a difficult decision, but the more I thought about it, the more I tended toward good riff instead of solo. Since "true" solos are becoming increasingly scarce, some killer riffs can displace them and surpass a song with a bad riff and a face-melting solo. Think of Katatonia, Dark Tranquillity or even Amon Amarth...some of their songs have strong lead guitar lines, but no true solos.

"Two riffs don't make an Opeth"

http://www.crushtor.net
Bleeding
Global Moderator

Paradise Belongs To You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 02:56:15 am »

But do you count a melody line as a riff or as a solo? For example, I consider Iron Maiden's Afraid to shoot strangers a pretty boring piece except for the extraordinary melodies. Is that song saved by a riff or by a solo?

The same goes for Mokoma's "Haudan takaa". I can't really tell whether that intro melody should be called a solo or a riff.

I'm not talking about melodic lines nad lead guitars. Solo with the way we all know it.

Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Solo-Chorus.  I put this simple structure to help you understand what i mean solo

"If You Ever Saw Me Smile You Should Know I Felt Sick Inside...."
Tanhald
Lead & rhythm guitars
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 10:26:17 am »

I'm not talking about melodic lines nad lead guitars. Solo with the way we all know it.
Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Solo-Chorus.  I put this simple structure to help you understand what i mean solo

Yeah, I see what you meant. But in my opinion melodic lines do not fit into the riff category, either. Especially if they come up in the song only once.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: