Home

October 15, 2019, 01:42:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compression and Metal Production  (Read 2830 times)
Blasphemer
Metalosophist
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: April 17, 2006, 10:56:13 pm »

I suppose this could've gone in the musician's forum, but anyone who listens to music can provide valuable input on this subject. My main question is, do you like the sound that has become the norm on most cds released in the last 5 years (not the music itself, but the very loud, punchy mix and "big" guitar sound)? Or do you prefer the more natural sound of 80's and 90's recordings?

Also, to anyone who is a musician or studio engineer, I would be interested in what you do to finalize your tracks, and if you feel compelled to use compression just to get a louder average level, or for other reasons.

Potrokh
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 10:05:41 am »

Well, you've got to realize it's become the norm.. they taught us to listen critically to those vintage records to appreciate the dynamic range, but you know.. like the Vehemence engineer (who ironically works as an instructor at the very same school) told me "dude, it's metal, of course I am gonna compress the hell out of it"... Of course there is compression and there is compression. If you use good tube gear it still sounds good even at the highest setting and if you simply squash it in one of those plugins you've downloaded illegally it's probably going to sound like crap. In either case, I wouldn't do too much and leave it to the mastering engineer.
Blasphemer
Metalosophist
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 07:39:49 pm »

Do you do mastering, Potrokh, or is your expertise mainly recording/mixing? I'm still trying to figure out what mastering is exactly, other than just making sure every song is the same volume and little tweaks like that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: